In 1249, Tenbury was granted a charter by King Henry III for a market to be held in Temettebury, as it was then called. About this time, Roger de Clifford, who owned the market rights, built a Teme Bridge and laid down the plans for Teme Street, the present high street, by dividing it up into ‘Burgage Plots’, letting out these plots to the shopkeepers and traders of the town. The green area running parallel to Teme Street towards the river is still called The Burgage, where tennis and bowls are played. The Burgage is also a green open space much used for leisure activities and also large town events such as car boot sales on Bank Holiday Mondays and fetes and fairs. Recent additions include a sensory garden and re-designed children’s playground. One annual event worth remembering is the Fireworks Spectacular held in the first week of November, sponsored, built, operated and cleared up by the Round Table. Also The Tenbury Music Festival in June and Applefest in October.