The Canal and the Railway
The remains of the canal built in 1793, which went from Mamble to Leominster as part of a project intended to link with the River Severn at Stourport can still be seen following the A456. The scheme was never completed, but the part that was built provided the transport of half price coal for the poor of Tenbury. The Tenbury Railway was built on the same bed, and linked with the north-south main line at Woofferton. The railway was closed under “The Beeching Act” in 1962. These remains lie on the north side of the River Teme where one can still see the old Tenbury Railway Station building which is now used for industrial purposes. Unfortunately none of the old Railway line is available to walkers.